Log Cabins, Garden Rooms and Garden Offices Solid Timber Self Assembly Modular System Building News Articles Products Help and Advice Home Offices - Regal Garden Offices by Benfield ATT Surveys, Assesments, Design & Engineering, Eco specifications, Project management by TimberTecs

Planning and Building Regulation Advice


Most new buildings or major changes to existing buildings or to the local environment need consent - known as planning permission.

Similarly, you may be surprised to find that planning permission may not be necessary for your Beamlock structure, as some exemptions do apply. However, in general, it is always best to consult your Local Planning Authority to check what your own circumstances are.

As a precursory guide, official consent is required in the following instances:

  • The building is ‘Listed’ or is to be erected in the grounds of a ‘Listed’ building.
  • The property is within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a Conservation Area, a National Park, or equivalent.
  • The proposed development is nearer to a highway than the nearest part of the original house.
  • The proposed building is less than 5 metres from the original house.
  • The ridge height of the building exceeds 4 metres.
  • Agricultural buildings in some areas require planning permission.

Once you have spoken to your local planning authority office and do require planning permission, do not worry – it is made easy with our popular ‘planning drawing kits’.These kits range from roof tile samples, drawings for our most popular designs (or we can tailor them for you – just ask for a quotation), and structural engineering calculations.You can buy these online exclusively in our online store.

And, if you do not want the stress and pressure associated with making your planning application, we can do this for you, nationwide, using our own in-house planning team.

Building Regulations

Obtaining planning permission approval is a separate matter from building regulations approval. Similarly, receiving any planning permission which your work may require is not the same as taking action to ensure that it complies with the building regulations.

Very generally, Building Regulations approval is not normally required if:

  • The building is detached and at least 1 metre from an adjacent boundary, AND
  • The internal floor area is less than 30 square metres

Again, do not worry; our in-house expertise will be able to assist you in complying with and applying for Building Regulation approval.

Contact us TODAY! for help with your Planning or Building Regs Click here to submit an enquiry online, or Call +44 01291 437050